Summer is nearing its end and while that can make us all a little blue, these shopping tips for making the most of the season’s end-of-summer sales will give us at least one good reason to wave goodbye to the sun, sand, and surf. Tips courtesy of Washingtonian.com.
- Avoid Jeans- Summer denim styles are usually a lighter wash and looser fit. Chances are that come fall, you’d rather want something that is sleeker, slimmer, and darker.
- Pile up on structured sleeveless tops- Not your average tank top, sleeveless tops like the one below are office appropriate and can easily be transitioned into fall with a cardigan or blazer. One tip, avoid anything too bohemian or crocheted which are overly summery looking. Stick with patterned pieces and solids with a single bold detail to stretch tops like this into the fall months.
3. Sign up for deal sites like “Shop it to Me”- It’s a free service that sends you personalized e-mail alerts when items from brand s you love foes on sale or if there are awesome discount codes out there. It pulls sources from all over so you’ll get the in on discounts everywhere. Registering for the 1x week e-mail alert option with two to three of your favorite brands will keep you from being overwhelmed.
4. Know which of summer’s trendy colors will carry over into fall- While mint green was all the rage this summer it’s unlikely that it will make an appearance in fall’s looks. Less trendy pastels such as salmon and muted rose since they’ll match fall’s richer colors. Other colors that can work, tangerine, since it pairs beautifully with charcoal gray and cobalt will also stick around.
5. Stick with sandals that have substantial straps and heels- One of summer’s most common clearance items are strappy sandals. If you’re the type of person that will most likely be bored of a shoe by the time summer rolls around next year, then avoid anything flat of with lots of straps. However, styles like the one below, with thicker straps will look cute and fashionable over tights and the wedge helps to dress it up a bit.
6. Raid J. Crew’s in-store jewelry collection- J. Crew offers truly season-less options. Most pieces here will look beautiful with sundresses and with sweaters. Shop in store as opposed to online since there tend to be more markdowns because they need to clear floor space for new inventory.
7. Never, ever buy anything that is a size too small- It’s tempting and most of us have been there but no matter how good the deal, don’t ever spend money on something that is a size too small during a summer clearance sale. It is much more likely that during the cooler months, you’ll be more lax about your exercise routine so hold off on shrinking clothing sizes until the end-of-winter sales when you come out of hibernation.
8. Say no to high-low hems- You know, the dresses that are shorter in the front and longer in the back? This style probably won’t look too great paired with tights and might not be in style next summer.
9. Pay extra close attention to your favorite brands now- While sales are a great time to experiment with new designers or styles, check in often with the brands that you usually buy the most and you will likely score pieces that will last you forever.
10. Pay attention to the sticker. Beware of final sale notices. – Only order items that say “final sale” when you have worn the brand before and can be sure their clothing will fit you properly. The last think you want to do is purchase an item that doesn’t fit and then be stuck with it.