Washingtonian.com’s Cheap Eats 2012: 10 Meals Under $10 is a great resource to find meals on the cheap in the Washington DC area. The eclectic list features cuisines from around the world and should have something for all tastes.
1. Ten hot Buffalo wings $9.49 at Metro City Wing House
4404 Saint Barnabas Rd., Temple Hills; 301-423-0088.
2. Half char-grilled Peruvian-style chicken $8.59 at Super Chicken
422 S. Washington St., Falls Church; 703-538-5550.
3. Pressed Cuban sandwich $8.50 at Fast Gourmet
1400 W St., NW; 202-448-9217.
4. Flank-steak-and-rice-noodle bowl $8.25 at ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen
1516 Connecticut Ave., NW; 202-232-4141.
5. Posole, the Mexican pork-and-hominy stew $7.70 available weekends at Taqueria Distrito Federal
3463 14th St., NW; 805 Kennedy St., NW; 202-276-7331 for both.
6. Grilled Bosnian burger with sour cream and onions $6.95 at the Balkan Grill
5902 N. Kings Hwy., Alexandria; 703-329-3303.
7. Falafel on pita $6.50 at Max’s Kosher Cafe
2319 University Blvd. W., Wheaton; 301-949-6297.
8. Philly-cheesesteak pasty—an offbeat version of the British hand pie, often a special$5.99 at the Pure Pasty Co.
128-C Church St., NW, Vienna; 703-255-7147.
9. Pan bagnat, a baguette laden with tuna, olives, and egg $5.75 at Saint Michel Bakery
5540 Wilkins Ct., Rockville; 301-770-5090.
10. Vietnamese sub with grilled pork $3.70 at Bánh Mì DC Sandwich
3103 Graham Rd., Falls Church; 703-205-9300.