Gigaom.com’s Super Bowl 46 mobility by the numbers highlights the increase use of mobile devices and social media for major events.
- 37,871 followers of the official Super Bowl Twitter account
- 50 employees and volunteers will man the Super Bowl Command Center for social media.
- 2.8 million followers of the NFL on Twitter and 4.5 million “likes” of the NFL Facebook page
- 600 antennas for a Verizon-managed Wi-Fi system at the game that can support 28,000 simultaneous connections.
- 400 additional Verizon antennas for 3G and LTE
- Increased capacity on 200 AT&T cell sites in the Indianapolis market
- $1.5 million: the amount T-Mobile has spent on the Indianapolis market over the past year to improve cellular coverage and backhaul.
- 52 network capacity upgrades by Sprint for its 3G network near the Super Bowl.